ONLINE REPORT RELEASE PANEL DISCUSSION
Extreme Risk Protection Orders: New Recommendations for Policy and Implementation
Wednesday, October 28, 2020, at 2:00 p.m. EDT
Hosted by the Educational Fund to Stop Gun Violence
WASHINGTON — Extreme risk protection orders, or ERPOs, are civil orders that enable the temporary removal of firearms from a person who is behaving dangerously and at risk of committing violence against themselves or others. The innovative, life-saving policy was developed by the Consortium for Risk-Based Firearm Policy, first convened by the Educational Fund to Stop Gun Violence (Ed Fund) in 2013 after the horrific shooting in Newtown, Connecticut.
Drawing on lessons from across the country, the Consortium of legal and public health experts will on October 28 release a detailed set of recommendations to improve and enhance the effectiveness of this critical state-based gun violence prevention policy which helps prevent suicides, mass shootings and other types of interpersonal gun violence.
To coincide with the release of the Consortium’s report, the Ed Fund will host an online conversation open to the public and the media on Wednesday, October 28, at 2:00 p.m. EDT. Panelists will cover the current landscape of ERPO laws, now in place in 19 states across the country and the District of Columbia, the report’s key findings and new recommendations for policy and implementation.
Date: Wednesday, October 28, 2020
Time: 2:00 p.m. EDT
The briefing will be moderated by Josh Horwitz, JD, Executive Director, Educational Fund to Stop Gun Violence and Consortium for Risk-Based Firearm Policy; Associate Faculty, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
Panelists will include:
- Paul S. Appelbaum, MD, Professor of Psychiatry, Columbia University; Steering Committee Member, Consortium for Risk-Based Firearm Policy
- Christopher Carita, Detective, Fort Lauderdale Police Department; Bloomberg Fellow, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Vicka Chaplin, MA, MPH, Director of Research Translation, Educational Fund to Stop Gun Violence; Managing Director, Consortium for Risk-Based Firearm Policy
- Lauren Footman, MA, Director of Outreach and Equity, Educational Fund to Stop Gun Violence
- Shannon Frattaroli, PhD, MPH, Associate Professor of Health Policy and Management, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Center for Gun Policy and Research; Steering Committee Member, Consortium for Risk-Based Firearm Policy
Please register to join us.
Please submit questions for panelists’ consideration to Samantha Kupferman, firstname.lastname@example.org. Panelists will answer selected questions during the question and answer portion of the discussion.